I’m not sure when crepes made a comeback, but I’m sure glad they did! Crepes are one of those foods that can double as a meal and/or a dessert. And, in my book, that’s a food worth exploring!
So, we’ve put together our favorite crepe restaurants on Oahu, so you can enjoy these delicate delights in paradise:
1. Aloha Crepes (Kaimuki): This creperie is located just East of Honolulu, in the busy shopping district of Kaimuki. But, the ambiance at Aloha Crepes is distinctly cozy and warm. The menu is large and includes a wide selection of Snow Ice, but we focused on the crepes when we went. In addition to numerous “breakfast” crepes, you can create your own crepe with ingredients like blue cheese, asparagus, and alfredo sauce and savory crepes, like the Boroccoli Obama Alfredo and Cheese Pizza. The dessert crepes are delicious, with selections like the Aloha Crepe (aloha sauce, strawberries, chocolate syrup), the easy Guava (Guava or strawberry jam served w/ peanut butter on request only), and the 3 Loft My Heart in San Francisco (Strawberries, bananas, caramel & whipped cream).
2. Marion Crepes (Ala Moana’s Japan Village Walk): This creperie is the only Hawaii location of an extremely popular stand hailing from the Harajuku district of Tokyo, and it’s located in the Japan Village Walk at Ala Moana Center. Marion Crepes serves the thin French pancakes Japanese-style, and the company has more than 80 locations in the U.S. Choose from dessert-type ingredients, such as Chantilly cream, chocolate, and ice cream or have a savory crepe as a meal. Dessert choices include the strawberry chocolage sundae, strawberry nutella custard, and strawberry cheesecake creme. Savory crepes selections include selections, such as chicken breast, cheese, and homemade basil sauce, shrimp, cheese, and tomato sauce, and genovese and homemade basil sauce. But, my favorite part of eating at Marion Crepes was the presentation — they serve your crepe rolled-up in paper, so you can eat it while shopping!
3. Crepes Na Ka Oi (Kailua): Visiting the Windward side and want a refreshing meal and/or dessert? Look no further than Crepes Na Ka Oi in Kailua. There, you can choose from dessert crepes like the Lovers’ Delight (thin slices of fresh strawberries and sweet bananas with Nutella, topped with powdered chocolate), Hawaiian Sugar (melted butter, raw cane sugar, and fresh lemon juice, topped with powdered sugar), or the We’re Jammin’ (choice of strawberry preserves or guava jelly topped with powdered sugar). Savory crepe options include Crepes Benedict (two poached eggs, Black Forest ham, and a side of housemade hollandaise sauce), Southwest (melted Colby Jack cheese, scrambled eggs, tomatoes, a choice of oven -roasted turkey breast or Black Forest ham, and a side of sour cream and salsa), or the Healthy Alternative (a crepe filled with non-fat plain yogurt, honey, all natural granola, slices of fresh strawberries, and banana).
4. Le Crepe Cafe (Honolulu): This eatery is located at Pearlridge Mall in Pearl City, so it’s the perfect stop after you’ve taken a tour of the historic Pearl Harbor. Savory crepes like the Cheese Louise (Mozzarella. Jack, & cheddar trio), Crepe of the Sea (Mozzarella, tuna salad, red onions, & tomatoes), and the Poulet Legume (Cheese trio, shredded chicken. Basil, & bell peppers) will fill your belly. And, dessert crepes, like the Peaches N Crea(mPeaches, honey, pecans, & whipped cream), The Hawaiian (Banana, shredded coconut, macadamia nuts, vanilla ice cream, pineapples, & honey), and La Pigalle (Melted butter & fruit preserves) will satisfy your sweet tooth!
5. Delice Crepes Haleiwa (Haleiwa): This is really a food truck located in Haleiwa, but doesn’t the best food typically come from such humble circumstances? Try the simple Sunrise (ham, cheese), Roma (pesto, cheese, turkey, tomato), or Waimea (turkey, avocado, cheese, tomato, vinaigrette) on the savory side. Or try the Paris (sugar, lemon), Sunset (lilikoi jam, banana, strawberry), or Tahiti (nutella, strawberry, coconut) for dessert.
Nothing tastes better than crepes on Oahu! So, check-out one or more of these local eateries, and indulge your sweet-tooth or savory craving!