For far too long, visitors to Ko Olina have had to trek to Honolulu to do the bulk of their mall shopping. But, no longer! A new shopping center in Hawaii just opened in the heart of Kapolei, just a few minutes drive from the Ko Olina resort area and the Paradise Cove Luau.
Here are the details, so you can plan your shopping trip:
- The new mall is called Ka Makana Alii. The center’s name Ka Makana Alii means “The Royal Gift” and pays tribute to Prince Jonah Kuhio Kalanianaole who conceived of the Hawaiian Homes Commission Act allotting hundreds of thousands of acres of government land to Native Hawaiians. This permanent homeland is a perpetual gift and legacy that lives on today.
- Phase one of the 1.4 million-square-foot regional mall features more than 100 stores and restaurants
- The mall also houses a state-of-the-art Consolidated Theatres
- You’ll also find the state’s first Hampton Inn & Suites on property. It offers offers free breakfast, Wi-Fi, and parking.
- More than 80,000 new homes are projected to be constructed by 2025, so the mall will serve this quickly-growing community. It will also serve as a shopping destination for visitors to the Ko Olina resort area
- The shopping center will will financially support programs benefiting Native Hawaiian interests statewide.
Macy’s recently opened at K Makana Alii, and it’s been branded as the mall’s anchor store. But, lots of other stores are currently open or will be opening soon. such as Bath & Body Works, H&M, Forever 21 Red, Kay Jewelers, Macy’s, Old Navy, Reyn Spooner, Rix Island Wear, SoHa Living, Victoria’s Secret and Ho ala Salon & Spa.
It also features (or will feature) restaurants and eateries including Applebee’s, California Pizza Kitchen, Moena Café, Five Guys Burgers & Fries, Jollibee, Kickin Kajun, and Moena Cafe. For a complete list of retailers and restaurants, visit the shopping center’s website at www.kamakanaalii.com.
Other featured events at the shopping center include a weekly Farm Lovers Market at Ka Makana Alii. Held every Wednesday from 3:30 pm – 7:30 pm at Center Court, you can experience a family-friendly farmers market featuring delicious organic local fruits and vegetables, tropical plants and flowers, locally-made treats and prepared foods. Enjoy a stroll through the center as you sample products and discover a unique handcrafted merchandise. Stay awhile and enjoy live local Hawaiian music, hula performances, entertainment and more!
If you’re a frequent traveler to Hawaii, you can also take advantage of the shopping center’s Makana Kids program. Makana Kids Club is a free program for keiki up to the age of 10, offering monthly entertainment, special discounts and more.
Whether you’re staying in Ko Olina and are looking for a shopping destination closer-in — or justwant to experience the first new shopping center on Oahu in decades, Ka Makana Alii is a modern, transformative, fun place to spend a day dedicated to shopping.
So, add a shopping excursion to your vacation “to-do” list, and visit the newest and finest shopping center in Hawaii!