The word ‘organic’ is nothing new. It’s on shelves at Costco, touted in restaurants; it’s even made its way into our make up and cleaning products. In fact, in 2002, the USDA released its national standards for organic products, officially bringing the movement into the mainstream, reports an article on Smithsonian.com. The article also suggests that the word ‘organic’ was perhaps the decade’s biggest culinary buzzword (from 2000 to 2010). So we’ve been marinating in this organic thing for over a decade and it has finally taken hold in Hawaii.
This is good! In my opinion, it’s a great step toward a better planet, but I won’t get into that. What I’m trying to say is that for those of you organic lovers out there, Hawaii has many options for your shopping, eating and buying delights. Unlike movies and fashion, Hawaii is instep with the mainland’s organic train and offers a variety of grocery stores, eateries and local products that fit the organic fancy. Depending on which island you’re traveling to, here’s a look at what’s on offer.
- Down To Earth- Hawaii’s leading retailer of organic & natural foods since 1977. Locations include Honolulu, Kailua, Kapolei, Kahului and Pearlridge.
- Celestial Natural Foods- A small, quaint, health-minded shop on Oahu’s North Shore. Beet Box Café is also located here, which is an organic eatery ideal for lunch.
- Whole Foods- Located in Kailua and Honolulu (on Waialae Ave.) and a soon-to-be location at Ala Moana opening up, Whole Foods is the largest natural foods shop with the biggest selection in organic foods.
- Town- This fun and trendy restaurant serves an organic and local menu with a lively atmosphere. Located on Waialae Ave.
- Sandy’s Sandwiches- Organic and very reasonably priced sandwiches along the Seven Mile Miracle.
- Waialua Bakery- Baked goodies, sandwiches, smoothies and more will make your mouth water at this organic, local little eatery in Haleiwa, on Oahu’s North Shore.
- Organic Café- Doesn’t the name say enough? You can find coffee, tea, acai, smoothies and light eats at this cute little café in Waikiki.
- Cactus- Delicious organic options with a Latin American/Mexican twist in Kailua, on Oahu’s east side.
- Aloha Salads- Enjoy a fresh and light lunch at one of the Aloha Salads locations in Kailua, Kapolei, Honolulu or Kahala.
- Lala Nani Skin Care- Lotions, scrubs and therapeutic products that are made on the North Shore of Oahu.
- Honey Girl Organic- Simple, natural, local and organic ingredients go into these skin products.
- Living Foods Market- Part of the new Kukui‘ula development in Poipu, this small yet extensive grocery store has plenty of organic options for cooking, ready-to-eat meals, products, wine, gifts and more.
- Papayas Natural Foods- Kauai’s popular place for organic shoppers, you can find this natural food store and café in Kapaa.
- Café Coco- A lively yet quaint plantation style restaurant in Wailua that serves up organic salads and tasty pastas, plus other natural and local menu items.
- Kauai Juice Co.- Providing organic, cold pressed juice, this shop is the perfect stop for a refreshing beverage. Located in Kapaa.
- Malie- Luxury, organic spa products, Malie first opened in Ele‘ele on Kauai, but can also be found in many boutique shops around the islands.
- Ili Scrub- Hawaiian skin care line that features organic scrubs made from organic coffee, ginger, mint and lavender.
- Down to Earth- Located in Kahului, you can find all your organic supplies here while vacationing on Maui.
- Hawaiian Moons Natural Foods- A small yet extensive shop in Kihei, Hawaiian Moons has a great selection of organic, natural and local foods, produce and products.
- Mana Foods- Their tag line is ‘Wholesome Foods at Honest Prices’ and they’re located in Paia.
- Café Kula- Organic breakfast, lunch and dinner in Wailea-Makena.
- Café Café- An outdoor café located in Lahaina that offers locally sourced coffee, shave ice and organic baked goodies.
- Queen Bee Products- Organic and natural skin care that focuses on Maui honey and beeswax.
- Native Maui- A true organic and chemical free natural skin care line that specializes in sunscreens and after sun skin care.
- Big Island
- Island Naturals Market & Deli- Check out one of the three organic store locations on the Big Island in Hilo, Kailua-Kona and Pahoa.
- Lotus Café- Enjoy organic, non-GMO and gluten free Asian foods at this artisan café in Kailua-Kona.
- Island Lava Java Bistro- Coffee shop and café in Kona that serves up local and organic breakfast, lunch and dinner options.
- Coconut Girls- From aloe vera to body wash and scrubs to shampoo, find organic health and beauty products at Coconut Girls, sold island wide and distributed throughout Hawaii.