Would you like a steak with a side of beautiful sunset? Order up!
In Hawaii, we’ve perfected the art of al fresco (outdoor) dining, and diners across the country have taken notice. In fact, opentable.com users have just voted twelve Hawaii restaurants in the top 100 places for al fresco dining in the U.S.
“Dining al fresco is a delicious way for travelers and locals alike to take in the sights, sounds, and flavors of a city,” said Caroline Potter, OpenTable chief dining officer, in a statement. “These winning restaurants have created delightful outdoor seating areas that provide a front-row seat to the natural beauty and urban vistas around them, allowing guests to commune with their surroundings while experiencing welcoming hospitality and fresh fare.”
Here’s a look at the best places for al fresco dining in Hawaii (we’ve picked a few to highlight):
- Beachhouse at the Moana Surfrider in Waikiki: The Moana Surfrider is one of the oldest and most prestigious hotels in Waikiki, and its prime location makes it a fan favorite. If you want to experience a fantastic view of Waikiki, while dining on some of the freshest food in Hawaii, the Beachhouse can’t be beat. It offers the finest steaks, freshest seafood and vibrant island inspired cuisine, utilizing the highest quality and locally sourced ingredients.
- Blue Dragon Restaurant in Kawaihae, on Hawaii island
- Brown’s Beach House at The Fairmont Orchid on the Big Island’s Kohala Coast
- Duke’s Beach House Maui at the Honua Kai Resort in Lahaina. At the restaurant, located just steps from the sand, you’re treated to sweeping views of the Pacific framed by the islands of Molokai and Lanai along with a casual, nostalgic ambiance and a glimpse into the life of the restaurant’s namesake, Duke Kahanamoku. The cuisine is Hawaiian influenced with a focus on fresh, sustainable seafood and premium steaks.
- Ferraro’s Bar e Ristorante at the Four Seasons Resort Maui at Wailea
- Gaylord’s at Kilohana, in Lihue, Kauai
- Hau Tree Lanai at the New Otani Kaimana Beach Hotel in Waikiki
- Hukilau Lanai at Kauai Coast Resort At The Beachboy in Kapaa
- Hula Grill Kaanapali at Whalers Village on Maui
- Lava Lava Beach Club at Waikoloa Beach Resort on the Big Island. This is one of my personal favorites! Living room-style seating is located on the beach, so you can actually dine while lounging on sofas and large chairs with your feet in the sand. If you have children in-tow, they can occupy themselves by playing in the nearby tide pools, too!
- Pacific O in Lahaina
- Ulu Ocean Grill and Sushi Lounge at the Four Seasons Resort Hualalai.
Let’s face it: Food just tastes BETTER when you eat it by the ocean. And, in Hawaii, we’re fortunate to have amazing cuisine and even more amazing views. So, consider eating at one of the many places for al fresco dining in Hawaii — bon appetit!