Before you zip-up that suitcase headed for Hawaii, make sure you leave enough room for a guidebook (or two). Or, better yet, take it with you to read on the plane. You won’t regret taking the time to “read-up” on Hawaii!
1. The Ultimate Guidebook Collection: Author Andrew Doughty has written an entire series to Hawaii, and he devotes an entire book to each island (except Lanai and Molokai). Each of his books received either four-and-a-half or five stars on Amazon, and they are the website’s best-selling Hawaii guide books.
His Hawaii travel guides offer a candid, humorous guide to everything there is to see and do on the islands. Best-selling author and longtime Hawai’i resident, Andrew Doughty, unlocks the secrets of an island so lush and diverse that many visitors never realize all that it has to offer. Explore with him as he reveals breathtaking trails, secluded beaches, pristine reefs, delicious places to eat, colorful craters, hidden waterfalls and so much more. Every restaurant, activity provider, business and resort is reviewed personally and anonymously.
Price: Around $13.93 on Amazon
2. Fodor’s Hawaii (2016): $15.84 on Amazon. Fodor’s correspondents highlight the best of Hawaii, including Honolulu’s urban vibe, Maui’s Road to Hana, Kauai’s beaches, and the Big Island’s volcanoes. Local experts vet every recommendation to ensure you make the most of your time, whether it’s your first trip or your fifth. The book includes:
Price: $15.84 on Amazon.
3. Lonely Planet Hawaii (2015): This is your passport to the most relevant, up-to-date advice on what to see and skip, and what hidden discoveries await you. Learn to surf or lie in the sun on a sugary tropical beach, hike across ancient lava flows and up craggy peaks, or curve down Maui’s lushest coast on the Road to Hana, all with your trusted travel companion.
4. Frommer’s Hawaii 2015: Written by three outspoken, authoritative experts, Frommer’s Hawaii 2015 shows travelers how to plan and execute the adventure of a lifetime in these legendary islands. This classic Frommer’s series includes:
Price: $16.22 on Amazon
5. DK Eyewitness Travel Guide: Packed with culture and activities for travelers to enjoy, our DK Eyewitness Travel Guide to Hawaii includes the best attractions and unforgettable sites including beautiful beaches, volcanoes, and insider tips for everywhere from Honolulu to Waikiki. The book includes a guide to great restaurants and cafes featuring island cuisine, or check out the best restaurants, clubs, and bars. It features the best hotels for every budget, plus fun activities for solitary travel or for families and children to make the very best of any visit to Hawaii.
Price: $16.71 on Amazon
It’s worth the effort to educate yourself with Hawaii travel guides before heading to the islands, especially if your trip is a once-in-a-lifetime vacation. With these trusted guide books in tow, you can skip what you want, hit the sites you want, and make the most of your trip!
Posted by: Bruce Fisher