Are you an adrenaline junkie? If so, Hawaii the perfect place to indulge your craving for adventure!
Here in Hawaii, we have tall cliffs (perfect for cliff diving), a few sharks (great for interaction), and of course, lots of water (just right for kayaking, surfing, and sailing). And all that means: Hawaii is paradise for those who want to take their island adventures to the next level.
Read on for a look at our top 6 extreme adventures in Hawaii:
1. Skydiving: What’s it like to free-fall at 120 miles per hour? Let’s just say there are skydiving addicts for a reason! On the way down, make sure you take a moment between gasps to take-in the amazing view from the sky. You can find most skydiving companies operating out of Oahu’s North Shore. Take a solo dive or dive tandem with an instructor. Just remember to consider the safety record and years of experience before you confirm!
2. Paragliding: Paragliding is a combination of parasailing and hand gliding and has a lightweight foot-launched glider that allows hours of suspended sailing in the sky, making for an incredible experience and a spectacular view. Most operators only allow tandem glides, with an instructor in control, but most will allow you to take the controls once you’re airborne. Book your Oahu paragliding experience through Hawaii Aloha Travel, and you’ll receive substantial discounts on booking fees.
3. Ziplining: Want to feel the cool breeze through your hair while you zip through a tropical landscape? Try ziplining! When ziplining through the jungle, you’ll use specialized equipment and a harness that attaches to a cable. Then, use the cable to descend through the landscape. Some companies, like Kauai Backcountry’s Zip Line Tour, offer mulitple ziplines and provide lunch and even a chance to swim.
4. Shark Tours: Spend an afternoon interacting with these amazing animals, and it just might change the way you view sharks forever. Forget your preconceived notions! Sharks are central to Hawaiian legend and hold a place of honor in the Hawaiian culture. You can find shark tours on Oahu and Maui, where boats will take you out to meet sharks in their natural habitat. North Shore Shark Adventures operates out of Haleiwa Harbor, where a boat will take you three miles out to sea. There, you can also view dolphins, sea turtles, and in the winter, humpback whales.
5. Cave Diving: Become an underwater cave explorer as you scuba dive through caverns and crevices, barely touched by man. Spitting Caves on Oahu has around five different sized caves naturally carved out from thousands of years of constant ocean pounding and strong currents. Spitting Caves is a Oahu dive that bottoms out around 50 feet, then gradually deepens to 140 feet. Keep in mind, only experienced divers should attempt to dive into most caves!
6. Cliff Diving: Cliff diving gives you the same adrenaline rush as cave diving, but without the necessary scuba certification. Try it at Ka Lae, or South Point, on the Big Island, or Waimea Bay on Oahu. But, be careful and look below to make sure the water is deep enough for a cliff jump!
Hawaii is an extreme sports-lover’s paradise! So, consider trying some of these extreme adventures in Hawaii — you’re heart will still be pounding when you return home!
Posted by: Bruce Fisher