Shopping Tips for Hawaii Craft Fairs
Local craft fairs can be a life saver when it comes to holiday shopping or getting gifts for friends back home. Not only do they sell affordable trinkets and treasures, but craft fairs also sell locally-made stuff that you won’t find anywhere else.
At a Hawaii craft fair, you’ll come across lots of jewelry made with shells or beach glass and items covered with Hawaiian print. I love looking at the photos capturing different moments all over the islands, both underwater and on land. Each of these make great souvenirs while on your Hawaii vacation; they also make for great gifts.
If you’re in Hawaii during the holidays, then you’ll notice craft fairs popping up all over the islands. Oahu usually has the most and will most likely be held on the weekend at a public school campus. The best one is the “Season’s Best Craft & Gift Fair,” held every year at the Blaisdell Center.
Here are a few tips to keep in mind when checking out a Hawaii craft fair:
- The best place to find out about a craft fair is online, in a weekly or in a newspaper or simply ask your hotel concierge.
- Bring a reusable bag to carry stuff you bought. The best ones are the bags that roll up to about the size of your hand and can fit in your purse or pocket.
- Wear a hat, sunscreen and comfortable walking shoes. Most craft fairs are outdoors and require a lot of walking through aisles of vendors.
- Create a shopping list before getting to the fair. Trust me, it makes the hunt much easier.
- Bring cash. Most vendors don’t accept credit card or check.
- If you are going with babies, use a smaller stroller or carrying pouch. Most craft fairs are set up with narrow rows of vendors.
- Don’t forget to take a break. There’s usually a place to get refueled and rehydrated on food and water. Don’t hesitate to try some of the unique island treats while you’re there!
- Lastly, remember to buy something for yourself! Sometimes we get so caught up in our gift shopping lists that we forget about ourselves.
Photo Credit: Katherine Finch